Gatekeeper from DigiCert
The Australian Federal Government launched the Gatekeeper initiative to enable both organisations and individuals to securely conduct business over the Internet. Gatekeeper leverages PKI technology to issue digital certificates that represent the online identities of organisations and individuals. There are a number of Federal and State Government Agencies that require Gatekeeper digital certificates to access services online.
DigiCert is an accredited Gatekeeper provider
We have been accredited as a:
Gatekeeper Certification Authority (CA).
This allows us to issue digital certificates recognised under the Gatekeeper framework. We comply with the rigorous government security standards required by Gatekeeper CAs and are audited annually.
- Gatekeeper Registration Authority (RA).
This allows us to perform formal identity verification of certificate applicants.
For more information about the Gatekeeper Framework, refer to the Government's Gatekeeper Website.
Key Features of DigiCert Gatekeeper Certificates
- Online Identity: Gatekeeper digital certificates represent the online identities of end users. Since the Australian Federal Government wants to ensure the accuracy of these identities, organisations and individuals are required to go through a rigorous identify proofing process. At the end of this process, Gatekeeper digital certificates are issued as high-assurance online identities.
- Web Site Access: Gatekeeper digital certificates are used by many Federal and State Government Agencies to authenticate users to web sites that provide online services.
- Secure Email: Gatekeeper digital certificates can be used to digitally sign and encrypt emails to protect email content in transit. Email applications, such as Microsoft Outlook, identify digitally signed and encrypted emails so users can be sure of their authenticity, integrity and confidentiality.
- Digital Signature: Gatekeeper digital certificates can be used to digitally sign documents such as real estate transactions.
- Trust: Gatekeeper is the Australian Federal Government's standard for PKI technology. Our Gatekeeper digital certificates chain to the DigiCert Gatekeeper root certificate authority (CA) which has been distributed to many Federal and State Government Agencies. Because of this ubiquity, our Gatekeeper digital certificates are automatically trusted by these Agencies.
- Native Support: Our Gatekeeper digital certificates comply with the X.509 standard for PKI technology. Many Federal and State Government Agencies have enabled Transport Layer Security (TLS, previously SSL) protocols to secure connections with the end users. Agencies have configured TLS protocols to require organisations or individuals to have Gatekeeper digital certificates as their online identities to access the Agencies' web sites. Additionally, many email applications including Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and Lotus Notes support Gatekeeper digital certificates.