Upcoming changes to identity verification
A new ID verification process for Manager enrolments is coming soon
Currently, Gatekeeper Manager applicants must attend an Australia Post office in person and present their identity documentation as part of the verification of identity process.
From the 30th of June, Australia Post will no longer complete verification of identity checks for DigiCert.
DigiCert is introducing a new on-line process which will replace the Australia Post process, designed to provide the same rigorous level of identity verification as an in-person check.
- Gatekeeper Manager applicants will still complete the on-line enrolment process, as before.
- Manager Applicants will then be asked to upload their required identity documentation to DigiCert.
- DigiCert staff will review the documentation which includes confirming the validity of the identity documentation using the Australian Government's Document Verification Service (DVS).
- Once the document review is complete, Digicert will request the Applicant to schedule a video interview with a member of the DigiCert team to verify the identity of the applicant.
- Once completed successfully, the Gatekeeper Manager certificate will be issued.
- Mid June - DigiCert will commence the new on-line Verification of Identity process.
- 30th June - Australia Post will no longer accept DigiCert applications.
I've already had my identity checked at Australia Post. Does this apply to me?
Your identity check is valid for 2 renewals of your Manager Certificate. This is a maximum of 6 years. If you are a new Manager, you may not be due for an Identity Check for several years. Any new Managers from your organisation will use the new process from June.
Is there any change in the price of a Gatekeeper certificate?
No change in price.
Are my identity documents stored securely by DigiCert?
Yes, identity documentation is stored in encrypted format within our Australian data centers and is only accessible by limited DigiCert staff.
Why is DVS used?
The DVS check of identity documents provides another layer of verification as the document validity is checked with the issuing authority. This helps to reduce the possibility of fraud.
Are Gatekeeper Standard & Device certificates impacted by this change?
No, only Gatekeeper Managers undergo the Verification of Identity process.